Friday, November 21, 2008

Books I want

Due to the recent world-wide economic downturn, the Australian dollar has taken a massive hit, and now only buys 0.00000001 of a US dollar (NB: figures may not be factually accurate). Therefore, I will not be ordering anything off Amazon.com in the near future.

I have been in recent contact with my local gaming store, and have attempted to order the following:
  • Mutants and Masterminds: Ultimate Power



    Powers are potentially the most confusing part of mutants and masterminds, due to their sheer potential complexity. The amazing number of modifiers that give that incredible customisation that we know and love are one of the ways that people who are indecisive (like me) can become stuck. Also, there are a number of generic modifiers that are clear in themselves, but can be unclear as to their actual implementation with each power.

    This book has an entire section devoted to a detailed description about how powers actually work, how they can be modified, and so on. It then goes on to describe power effects (which are the actual-things-that-powers-do), how they can be modified, reasonable alternate powers for each of them, reasonable flaws, and examples of each. Then it goes on to introduce more powers, and give more details about selected powers from the core rulebook, similar to their treatment of effects.

    One of the really cool things in this book is that it actually explains power constructs: arrays, dynamic arrays, etc... This is not clearly explained in the core rulebook (probably due to lack of space), but is worth knowing about, for that added layer of flexibility/customisation.

    Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting this one. Looks awesome. Ultimate, if you will.... *eeexcellent*

  • Mutants and Masterminds: Book of Magic



    As the title clearly states, this is a book about magic. How it might work in your campaign, for your heroes, some sample spells/spell-books, sample magic items, monsters, new hero and villain archetypes, and more magic than you can poke a stick at.

    As someone who loves magic in its many forms (I almost always play a mage of some sort), this is a must have for me. The only problem I foresee is that when I finally get a group together to run an M&M campaign, I won't know whether to run a superhero campaign, mystic/occult campaign, or a fantasy campaign (thanks to W&W, which I'll come to next). Truly are we spoilt for choice *drooool*
  • Mutants and Masterminds: Warriors and Warlocks



    Alright, the reason my gaming store didn't have this one is that it's technically not out yet. According to amazon.com, it's due out November 29th (the day before my wedding), which is pretty soon, so I guess you can call it a pre-order.

    Basically, this is the way to finally replace D&D with M&M. Presumably including new hero and villain archetypes, fantasy equipment, weapons, and so on. Also going to include a cruchy re-working of Green Ronin's fantasy setting Freeport, which I admit I've never read, but a lot of people on Atomic Think Tank seem to be excited about.

    At the same time as this book, Green Ronin is also releasing another supplement called Mecha and Manga, which is supposed to be devoted to running anime-style campaigns. Sounds cool, but I'm not really into that. For those of you that are, of course, visit the mutants and masterminds web page, amazon.com, and Atomic Think Tank for more details.
Anyway, there is my up-coming reading list, assuming that I can get my hands on these book. When I do, expect reviews/articles about them.

No comments: